Our Clinical Research Center (CRC) offers a team of CITI GCP trained staff and uses the UMKC Institutional Review Board (IRB) that can provide a thorough and efficient review process. The team is devoted to the administration of patient-oriented research projects. Our goal is to further dental and oral health research and facilitate partnerships between academic and industry-sponsored research.
Are you interested in participating as a subject in oral health research?
Research volunteers play an essential role at UMKC. Volunteers are part of pioneering studies on oral diseases, oral health care products and therapies taking shape at the School of Dentistry’s Clinical Research Center (CRC). Your participation helps advance our scientific understanding of oral diseases and associated therapies used to treat oral diseases, and the oral-systemic disease connections which ultimately serves to improve overall health.
The Clinical Research Center recruits people of all backgrounds to participate in oral health research throughout the year. Potential participants interested in research must first complete a screening visit to review their current oral health status and determine which studies, if any, they may be eligible for.
- Studies often entail visiting the first floor of the School of Dentistry for approximately 10-30 minutes over several visits.
- During these visits, a study investigator will perform a visual examination of your teeth and oral tissues.
- You may be asked to use an oral health care product every day (ex. toothbrush, toothpaste) as instructed by the sponsor of the research or keep a journal of your activities at home for the duration of the study.
- Studies range from one week to several weeks in length.
- Some studies may offer compensation to cover your time, travel, parking expenses related to study participation.
Participation is completely voluntary and study participants may withdraw at any time without penalty. Your personal information will be collected as part of participation in the research, and every precaution will be taken to ensure your personal information is protected.
The CRC maintains a Recruitment Database of people interested in participating in studies. If you give your consent, the Center will be able to keep your contact information on file for sending information about future study recruitment. You are also given the option to opt-out of the Recruitment Database, if you chose to opt out, your contact information will not be maintained.
All research projects at CRC are reviewed and approved by the independent Institutional Review Board, whose primary goal is to protect volunteers. Each study is carefully scrutinized by many knowledgeable scientists, clinicians and advocates representing research volunteers. They evaluate studies and confirm that all the risks have been carefully explained to participants. They also make sure that volunteers are provided detailed written and verbal explanation of the procedures and time requirements.
Click here to be taken to our Interest Survey if you are interested in participating in oral health research: https://redcap.link/UMKCSODCRCDatabase
Please note: The Clinical Research Center conducts research ONLY and is NOT a provider of dental or oral care.
If you would like to receive dental treatment at the School of Dentistry, please call (816) 235-2100.
The Clinical Research Center provides fee-for-service research as an independent investigative site. The CRC partners with the private sector to contribute to the development, evaluation, and approval of new oral health products and therapies. Since its inception, the Clinical Research Center has conducted over one hundred studies, ranging from Phase I to Phase III clinical trials.
The Clinical Research Center is proud to offer the following benefits as an investigative site to partnering sponsors:
- Full-time Director
- Full-time Certified Study Coordinator
- Dental Assistants and Dental Hygienists
- IRB preparation and submission
- PI calibration in stain, plaque, and gingivitis indices
- Secured storage for research-related products
- Competitive per-subject rates
- Diverse subject population
- Efficient study start-up timeline
- Database of potential research subjects
Please reach out to us with any questions or to discuss and review a proposal.
University of Missouri-Kansas City
School of Dentistry
Clinical Research Center
650 E 25th Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone: (816) 235-2200