The UMKC School of Dentistry has a deeply rooted reputation for innovative leadership in dental education. For more than a century, the school has led the way by preparing the next generation of oral health care professionals, conducting cutting-edge research, delivering high-quality care to patients and allowing professionals to elevate their careers through our continuing education and practitioner training programs.
A Brief History
Our roots stretch back to the 1881 when the Kansas City Dental College was founded as a department within the Kansas City Medical College. Eventually the Dental College merged with Western Dental College to form the Kansas City-Western Dental College. In 1941 the Dental College affiliated with the privately supported University of Kansas City and became that institution’s School of Dentistry. Twenty years later the University of Kansas City joined the four-campus state University of Missouri system. Since then the dental school has been known as the UMKC School of Dentistry.
We are nationally recognized for academic rigor and excellence in oral health care education. Our extensive facilities include modern classrooms, research laboratories, practice clinics and library services. The School of Dentistry is situated on UMKC’s Hospital Hill campus, a few miles north of the main UMKC campus. Hospital Hill is home to a nexus of health care and educational institutions. The prestigious neighbors include Children’s Mercy Hospital, Truman Medical Center, several private and public medical facilities and the UMKC Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Studies and Pharmacy.