The School of Dentistry aspires to create an environment where all community members feel safe and supported. In order to create a climate where everyone thrives, it is important to continually evaluate and respond to incidents, which threaten these values. We encourage all members of the School of Dentistry to safely share any experiences that may not align with the school’s values for justice, equity, inclusivity, and belonging.
We have created this online form for reporting, receiving, and responding to feedback. In this process, we seek resolutions that center our commitment to integrity, safety, equity, care, and compassion.
- Continue to understand the needs and experiences of the SOD community members.
- Collect data that inform policy and climate change toward a more inclusive environment.
- Create infrastructure that supports honest feedback about SOD experiences.
- Encourage compassionate resolutions and repairs that support opportunities for learning, growth, and success.
- All submissions to this reporting system are initially reviewed by the:
- Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), Makini King
- Assistant Dean for Student Programs, Richie Bigham
- Office of Equity and Title IX
- The Assistant Deans may elect to forward the report to Human Resources or the Dean’s Leadership Team based on the content of the submission.
- For some incidents, individuals might feel more comfortable reporting directly to the Office of Equity and Title IX. The Office of Equity and Title IX will automatically review all reports made through this system to ensure proper processing.
- A summary of the report will be reviewed by the SOD DEI Committee.
- The SOD DEI Committee will analyze trends and make recommendations for community building initiatives.
- The Dean’s Leadership Team will make recommendations for resolution and repair, including but not limited to:
- Policy, implementation and review
- The Assistant Deans for DEI and/or Student Programs will consult with the concerned party before initiating a resolution plan
- Only necessary details of the report will be shared with individuals involved in the resolution process.
- The Assistant Dean of DEI will provide feedback to the reporter on the status of the report and recommendations, as appropriate.
If you have questions about this process, please reach out to:
Dr. Makini King: email@example.com
Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, UMKC School of Dentistry
This report is not considered confidential but will only be shared with the appropriate University officials on a need-to-know basis to protect the privacy of those involved.
This tool is for internal use only. Only UMKC School of Dentistry faculty, staff, students and residents should use the SCALE reporting form.
For patient treatment incidents please refer to the Clinic Manual to complete a “Patient Incident Report, or contact Dr. Lance Godley, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs firstname.lastname@example.org