Expect academic rigor, personal attention from faculty and a future with unlimited possibilities at the UMKC School of Dentistry. Our world-class program will launch your career in oral healthcare education.
Our academic programs – Doctor of Dental Surgery, Dental Hygiene and Advanced Education Programs – are designed to train the next industry leaders. Our extensive classrooms, libraries and research laboratories use cutting edge technology to communicate the latest ideas and industry breakthroughs. Highly-respected professors offer innovative ideas and build individual connections with students. Practice clinics allow students to train and gain crucial practical experience.
One of our biggest assets comes down to geography. The school is situated on Hospital Hill allowing us an ideal opportunity for interprofessional healthcare collaboration with the other UMKC life science schools – medicine, pharmacy, nursing and health studies. Truman Medical Center and Children’s Mercy Hospital are within walking distance allowing for collaborative work and educational opportunities.
Our academic programs are designed for every level of oral healthcare education. Whether your career has yet to begin or you’re a seasoned practicing professional, the coursework at the UMKC School of Dentistry has a program to fit your needs.
Doctor of Dental Surgery
Students almost immediately begin clinical work and steadily increase that experience throughout the four-year DDS program. Students work with peers and faculty to master skills and deliver comprehensive oral health care.
We offer intensive dental hygiene training that offers graduates a competitive edge. Expect to leave with a comprehensive education base to move into many different dental hygiene positions.
Advanced Education Programs
Receive advanced training in general dentistry and four dental specialties – Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, and Periodontics.
Why UMKC School of Dentistry?
- A tradition of excellence in education and care since 1881
- Affordable tuition with financial assistance and out-of-state tuition waivers for qualifying students
- The UMKC SOD has a patient base that exceeds 60,000 visits per year
- Home of the Midwest Dental Conference attracting 3,500 dentists, dental hygienists and oral health care leaders to Kansas City annually
- Access to a vast network of hygiene, dental, and dental specialty alumni located international and domestically in 49 of 50 states in the U.S. Top U.S. states represented are Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, California, Texas, New Mexico, Florida, Arkansas, Arizona, Hawaii, & Illinois. Roughly half of dentists practicing in Missouri & Kansas graduated from UMKC School of Dentistry.”
- The only public dental school in Missouri and Kansas
- Eight programs fully accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation
- The only school in the state of Missouri that offers advanced educational training in general dentistry and five specialties – Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Periodontics, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics and Endodontics