To make you more comfortable as you begin treatment, we have prepared this notice of your rights as a patient at the UMKC School of Dentistry. Our faculty, staff and student doctors strive to give you the finest and most complete dental care possible, without regard to race, religion, sex, nationality, or handicap. What follows is a list of our responsibilities to our patients:
- We explain your diagnosis, treatment recommendations, treatment costs and the results we expect from your treatment. We will answer any questions about your treatment.
- We provide as much information as you request before we begin treatment and provide access to complete and current information about your condition.
- We will respect your right to privacy in health care. Your dental records are confidential and will be released only with your consent or as allowed by law.
- We will give you considerate and respectful care, complete treatment for your dental needs and a treatment plan that progresses steadily and continuously.
- Should you decide to refuse our treatment, we will do our best to offer alternative treatment. If you decide not to pursue any treatment, we will explain the possible risks to your health.
- We will respond promptly to your requests for service, help and relief from pain.
- We will offer you the opportunity to participate in research studies or procedures. You do not have to accept.
- The Coordinator of Communication Services can address your concerns during or following treatment.
The Coordinator of Communication Services serves as a channel to faculty, staff and students by working with them to solve any problem with clinical services or procedures. You can call the coordinator at 816-235-6271. If the patient coordinator is not in the office, leave a message and the coordinator will contact you promptly.
In order to provide you with the best care possible in a timely manner, as a patient of record you are responsible for:
- Providing accurate and complete medical and dental histories and notifying us of any changes;
- Meeting your financial obligations for treatment and providing accurate information about your payment method for services;
- Notifying us of changes to your address, phone number , email address and/or other means of communication;
- Keeping your appointments or cancelling/rescheduling with at least 48 hours notice;
- Complying with the educational aspect of your treatment—understanding treatment may proceed slower than anticipated;
- The conditions and outcomes suffered should you refuse recommended treatment or fail to follow instructions and/or advice;
- Conducting yourself in a manner that is considerate and respectful to others in the dental clinic;
- Complying with clinic policies and procedures;
- Participating in your care and making reasonable decisions within the limitations of the school setting.
Statement of Human Rights
The Board of Curators and the University of Missouri-Kansas City are committed to the policy that there shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, disability or Vietnam-era veteran status. The Vice Provost for Affirmative Action, 354 Administrative Center, is responsible for all relevant programs and may be reached during business hours at 816-235-1323 . Those with speech or hearing impairments may use Relay Missouri, 1-800-735-2466 (Voice). UMKC is an equal opportunity institution.