School of Dentistry
Dr. Carole McArthur is a native of New Zealand where she obtained a Ph.D. in the field of immunology with a minor in biochemistry from the University of Otago. She has an M.D. degree from the University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC) and is a clinical and anatomic pathologist. She directs residency research in the pathology Department at Truman Medical Center in Kansas City and is an adjunct faculty member in the University of Missouri School of Medicine and in UMKC’s women’s and gender studies. She teaches immunology and immunopathology at UMKC. Her 30 years of research in the biological sciences span human and veterinary diagnostic system development and evaluation, salivary gland dysfunction, murine tumor immuno-genetics, and parasitology. For the past two decades she has been at the cutting edge of HIV and MTB diagnostic system development and evaluation in Cameroon, South Africa and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Dr McArthur is a translational researcher with extensive experience in both the academic and private sector. Her current and long-term research focuses on HIV/AIDS and TB point of care (POC) diagnostics including detection of drug resistance and HIV genetics. In Africa she has completed research over more than two decades in South Africa, Democratic Republic of Congo and Cameroon. In collaboration with Dr Paul Achu, she was responsible for support and development in 2002 of the first approved HIV/AIDS treatment facility in the North West Province of Cameroon at Mezam Polyclinic HIV/AIDS Center in Bamenda. In 2006 in the NWP of Cameroon, she obtained support for and developed the first tuberculosis reference laboratory for the detection, culture and DST testing of MTB. In 2009, the Cameroonian Ministry of Health took over the support and training with the Global Fund and moved the facility to the Regional Hospital in Bamenda where it now benefits several million Cameroonians.
Dr McArthur is the Director of AfriHealth Partnerships International (API), conceived in the Department of Oral and Craniofacial Sciences at the University of Missouri—Kansas City. Formerly known as the US-Cameroon Health Program, API is aimed at capacity-building in Africa. The goal of this program, initiated in 1995, is to foster interdisciplinary studies between investigators in the U.S. and investigators in Africa to strengthen the local response to the detection, prevention and treatment of infectious diseases. A primary goal is to strengthen the infrastructure of African Research to improve outcomes via improved technologies. Translational research focuses on the reduction in HIV transmission and MDR/XDR drug resistant TB and fungi.
Director: Paul Achu M.D. PN_achu@yahoo.com
Laboratory Director: Annette Njinda., email@example.com
Director of TB Program: Leo Ayuk M.D. M.P.H. Ayuk_leo@yahoo.com
Didier Ntongsi DDS. (Cameroon)
Field coordinator: Aboubakar Kindzeka
Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) team:
Principal Investigator: Carole McArthur, M.D., Ph.D. firstname.lastname@example.org
Training program co-ordinator: Mulenda Basimike Ph.D. (DRC)
Project co-ordinator: Linda James (IMA World Health)
South African team
Charlene Africa (University of Western Cape) email@example.com
Rob Warren (Stellenbosh) firstname.lastname@example.org
1. HIV-1 Group N: Evidence for ongoing Transmission in Cameroon. Yamaguchi J, McArthur Carole, Vallari Ana, Coffey R, Bodelle P, Beyeme M, Schochetman G, Devare S, Brennan C. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. AIDS Research and Human retroviruses, Vol 22, (5), 2006.
2. Kulkarni H, Marconi VC, Agan BK, McArthur Carole, Crawford G, Clark RA, Dolan MJ,
Ahuja SK.Role of CCL3L1-CCR5 genotypes in the epidemic spread of HIV-1 and evaluation
of vaccine efficacy.(PLoS ONE. 2008;3(11):e3671. Epub (2008 Nov 7) PMC2576446
3. Wang Y, Shnyra A, Africa C, Warholic C and Carole McArthur. “Activation of the
extrinsic apoptotic pathway by TNF-α in Human Salivary Gland (HSG) cells in
vitro,suggests a role for the TNF-receptor (TNF-R) and Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1
(ICAM-1) in Sjogren’s Syndrome-Associated autoimmune sialadenitis. Archives of Oral
Biology (July 31, 2009).
4. Vallari A, Bodelle P, Ngansop C, Makamche F, Ndembi N, Mbanya D, Kaptué L, Gürtler
LG, McArthur CP, Devare SG, Brennan CA. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2010 Jan;
5. McArthur Carole, Noeske Juergen and Parrish Nicole. Chapter 22 HIV/TB Co-infection: A
political call to action. In: HIV/AIDS in the Post HAART Era: Manifestations, Treatment
and Epidemiology. John and Brian Hall Eds. Published by Peoples Publishing Company.
August, 2011. ISBN: 978-1-60795-105-6
6. Eloise Rathbone-McCuan, Eve Lofthus and Carole McArthur. Chapter 27 “AIDS and Sex
Work” In HIV/AIDS in the Post-HAART Era: Manifestations, Treatment and Epidemiology.
John and Brian Hall Eds. 2011 ISBN: 978-1-60795-105-6
7. Bristow C, Babayeva B, Modarresi R, McArthur Carole, Kumar Santosh, Awasom Charles,
Ayuk Leo, Njinda Achu Paul and Ronald Winston. The α test: Rapid Cell-Free CD4 enumeration using whole saliva. 2012 Journal of Visualized Experiments. J Vis Exp. 2012 May 16; (63:e3999).
8. Clara Lema, Kim Dionne, Karen Carroll, Carole McArthur, Leo Ayuk, Charles Awasom,
Paul Achu and Nicole Parrish. “Evaluation of the ParaLens™ LED Microscope Attachment Versus Standard Fluorescence Microscopy for Detection of Mycobacteria”. Journal of Tuberculosis Research. Vol 1, No 2. 2013.
9. Ande A, Kumar S, McArthur C, Mitra A, and Kumar A “Tobacco smoking effect on HIV-1
pathogenesis: Role of cytochrome P450 isozymes”. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism and Toxicology. (July 4, 2013) (doi:10.1517/17425255.2013.816285.
10. Abrantes Pedro, McArthur Carole and Charlene Africa (MDR) of oral Candida species
isolated from HIV patients in South Africa and Cameroon. Diag Microbiol Inf Dis 2014 79(2): 227-7
11. Anusha Ande, Carole McArthur, Leo Ayuk, Charles Awasom, Paul Ngang Achu, Annette
Njinda, Anantha Nookala, Stephen Simon, Anil Kumar, and Santosh Kumar. “Effect of mild to moderate drinking and smoking on viral load, cytokines and oxidative stress in HIV-1-infected Individuals. (Current HIV Research, Feb. 2013). PONE-D-14-37862R2
12. Earla Ravinder, Anusha Ande, Carole McArthur, Anil Kumar and Santosh Kumar.
“Enhanced nicotine metabolism in HIV-1-positive smokers compared to HIV-negative smokers: Simultaneous determination of nicotine and its four metabolites in their plasma using a simple and sensitive ESI-LC-MS/MS technique,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition. Drug Metab Dispos dmd.113.055186; published ahead of print December 3, 2013, doi:10.1124/dmd.113.055186
13. Jubilus J, Dionne K, Osterhout G, Ayuk L, Awasom C, Achu P, Noeske J, Warren R,
McArthur Carole and N Parrish. 2015 “Phenotypic determination of Mycobacterium
tuberculosis drug resistance in pulmonary TB patients in Cameroon: a Phenotypic
susceptibility assay”. Int Jl Tuberc Lung Dis 19 (7): 823-7
14. Parichat Salee, LaChia Harrison, Kim Dionne, Carole McArthur, and Nicole Parrish.
“Combination of the by MODS Assay with the Sensititre MYCOTB Plate for Rapid Detection of MDR- and XDR-TB”.Jl of Tub Res. 14, 2014 Vol.2 No.3, 101-105
15. Clara Lema, Kim Dionne, Karen Carroll, Carole McArthur, Leo Ayuk, Charles Awasom,
Paul Achu and Nicole Parrish., 2013 “Evaluation of the ParaLens™ LED Microscope Attachment Versus Standard Fluorescence Microscopy for Detection of Mycobacteria”. Jl Tubercul Research. 2013 Vol 1, No 2. 14-16.
16. Kamalendra Singh, Jacqueline Flores, Karen Kirby, Ujwal Neogi, Anders Sonnerborg,
Atsuko Hachiya, Kalyan Das, Eddy Arnold, Carole McArthur, Michael Parniak, Stefan
Sarafianos. Drug Resistance in Non-B Subtype HIV-1: Impact of HIV-1 Reverse
Transcriptase Inhibitors. Viruses: Submitted 16 July 2014 Viruses 2014, 6, 3535-3562;
17. Wang Y, Syed J, Shnyra A, Torres-Romero L, Molteni A, and Carole McArthur. NF-kB
Controls Resistance of Human Salivary Gland (HSG) Cells to apoptosis in an in vitro model
of Sjögren’s syndrome. Open Journal of Rheumatology and Autoimmune Diseases, 2014, 4,
18. Anusha Ande, Carole McArthur, Leo Ayuk, Charles Awesome, Paul Ngang Achu, Annette
Njinda, Namita Sinha, Anantha Nookala, Stephen Simon, Anil Kumar and Santosh Kumar.
“Effect of mild-to-moderate smoking on viral load, cytokines, oxidative stress, and cytochrome P450 enzymes in HIV-infected individuals”. (Submitted PLOS ONE
August 22, 2014). Accepted February 2015 PONE-D-14-37862R2.
19. Abrantes Pedro, McArthur Carole and Charlene Africa. Multi-drug resistant (MDR) oral
Candida species isolated from HIV-positive patients in South Africa and Cameroon. Selected by Biomedical Frontiers Supplement March 2015 DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.5074.8887
20. S. Bok1, S. Pathan1, A.J. Wood2, B. Chen1, C.J. Mathai1, K. Gangopadhyay1, S. Grant2, C.
McArthur3 and S.Gangopadhyay1. Highly sensitive plasmonic grating platform for the
detection of a wide range of infectious disease (2015). Transducers 9, 2015,
Anchorage, Alaska, USA. June 21-25, 201578-1-4799-8955-3/15/$31.00 ©2015 IEEE
21. Anusha Ande, Namita Sinha, PSS Rao, Carole McArthur, Leo Ayuk4, Paul Ngang
Achu, Annette Njinda, Anil Kumar, and Santosh Kumar. Enhanced oxidative Stress
following alcohol use in HIV+ patients. (Accepted Aids Res Ther, September 10th 2015).
22. Ande A, McArthur C, Ayuk L, Awasom C, Achu PN, Njinda A, Sinha N, Rao PS, Agudelo.
M, Nookala AR, Simon S, Kumar A, Kumar . Effect of mild-to-moderate smoking on viral
load, cytokines, oxidative stress, and cytochrome P450 enzymes in HIV-infected individuals.
PLoS One. 2015 Apr 16;10 (4):e0122402. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0122402.
Selected for World Biomedical Frontiers Supplement November, 2015: ISSN 2328-0166
23. Yan Wang, Sean Parsel, Alexander Shnyra, Nicole Parrish, Kyle Boyce and Carole -0166
McArthur. A-fodrin Autoantigen Detection in Saliva and on salivary Ductal cells in Sjogren’s syndrome. J. Dent.Sci. Ther. 2016 1(2); 5-14 https://doi.org/10.24218/jdst.2016.07
24. Parcel S, Gustafson Steven, Ayuk Leo, Shnyra Alexandra, Aderosoye Adegbulu, Ying Liu,
Nicole Parrish, Jamal Syed, Eve Lofthus, Carolyn Henry, and Carole McArthur. “Malaria
over- diagnosis in Cameroon: Diagnostic accuracy of QBC FAST stain and LED Microscopy
versus Giemsa and Bright Field Microscopy”. Infectious Diseases of Poverty (2017) 6:32
25. Mary Rodgers, Eduan Wilkerson, Ana Vallari, Carole McArthur, Larry Sthreshley,
Catherine.Brennan, Gavin Cloherty, and Tulio de Oliveira. “Deep genetic diversity
observed amongst subgenomic and whole genome HIV-1 sequences from Democratic
Republic of the Congo, 2001-2003.” Journal of Virology 2017 02 2891(6) pii
26. Rodgers MA, Vallari A, Yamaguchi J, Holzmayer V, Harris B, Mboup S, Badreddine S,
McArthur C, Ndembi N, Mbanya D, Kaptue L, Cloherty G.. ARCHITECT HIV Combo
Ag/Ab® and RealTime® HIV-1 assays detect diverse HIV strains in clinical specimens.
AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. Epub 2018 Feb 13.