Have you ever considered what it feels and looks like to be dentist? This summer you can receive that Opportunity and more. Imagine having a college experience, living in the dorm with meals free of cost, learning chairside dental assisting, and interfacing with dental students and students and learning first-hand about the dental field. Couple this with social activities and the use of the University of Missouri-Kansas City Sweeney Recreational Center.
If you are a minority high school senior or college student, from an underserved or rural community or simply committed to learn more about dentistry, you are an excellent candidate for the Program. Students from the Kansas City, MO or Kansas City, KS School districts are our target audience. However, other district students from in and out of-state are also welcome to apply. This is with the understanding that if selected, they must arrange and pay for their own transportation to and from the program.
Application and Participation
To apply to the Summer DAP Program, you’ll need to prepare and submit the documents listed below. You should submit your application materials between September and March before the summer you would like to participate in the program. Mail your application materials to UMKC School of Dentistry, Office of Student Programs, 650 E. 25th St., Kansas City, MO 64108.
- The DAP application is available by download or by calling the Office of Student Programs 816/235-2080 or toll free 800/776-8652
- An academic transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from the teachers or administration at your high school/college.
After all applications have been reviewed, selected candidates will be contacted by e-mail, phone or mail. If you are chosen to participate in the program, you will be notified by late March.
Participants must agree and adhere to the Safety and Dress Codes and the rules and regulations of the program and the UMKC School of Dentistry. Dentistry
They must show proof that they have be vaccinated against Hepatitis B or sign a waiver/exemption from it.
During your one week in the Summer DAP Program, you’ll be working side-by-side with student dentist, clinical faculty and auxiliary personnel in the school’s dental clinic.
You’ll learn to perform the procedures and protocols of the school’s clinical DAP staff. Your training and tasks will include:
- follow infection control protocols
- preparing the dental operatory and instruments for patient treatment
- completing patient information charting
- setting up instruments
- complete patient information charting
- placing rubber dam
- performing saliva evacuation for the student dentist
- handling dental materials and equipment
You will also experience:
- You’ll be supervised by the DAP staff while you work side –by-side with a team of faculty, staff and students.
- You’ll broaden your experience by working in a variety of areas within the school’s clinic
- You’ll receive a certificate of participation at the conclusion of the weeklong Program.
- Preference will be given to students enrolled in a college preparatory curriculum at high schools in the Kansas City, MO, or Kansas City, KS school districts. However, students attending other districts are also welcome to apply.
- A high school GPA of a least 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale) is desired.
- You must have a strong interest and commitment to a career in dentistry.
- Underrepresented ethnic/racial minority student (African American, Hispanic or Native American) are highly desired but not to the exclusion other with qualified applicants.