This program has a three-fold purpose for elementary students. One, to give children early exposure to the field of dentistry by showing them what occurs during a dental office visit. Secondly, to aid in alleviating dental fears and promoting positive preventive dentistry, via role-playing and hands-on experiences. The third purpose of the program in to stimulate the children’s interest in dentistry as a viable career. Interaction with dental students of color will help students realize that individuals like themselves are successful in the field of dentistry.
- Role play a dental office visit
- Rotate through several dental stations
- Demonstrations of proper way to brush and floss teeth
- Hands-on exercises such as filling teeth and playing with puppets
- Interaction with dental students of color
- Free handouts (i.e. materials and dental supplies)
- Express an interest in dental students visiting your site.
- Agree to provide adequate staff supervision of children.
- Assist with clean-up.
- Reinforce the benefits oral health care and regular dental office visits.
- To pre-expose children to a dental office experience and eliminate or minimize fears about dental office visits.
- To reinforce the benefits of cooperative behavior and preventive dental care.
- To stimulate children’s interest in dentistry as a favorable and achievable career via their interaction with dental students of color.
Day care, elementary and middle schools in the Kansas City Metropolitan area
Ideally, a two week advanced notice is desired. However, final determination will be contingent upon the dental students’ availability.