The UMKC School of Dentistry offers a STAHR Scholars Dentistry program (formerly the Admissions Enhancement Program). The mission of the UMKC STAHR Scholars Dentistry program is to develop culturally diverse candidates and candidates from underserved areas who are applying to the UMKC School of Dentistry within the next two years. The innovative 10-week summer program is intended to develop competitive health professions applicants who have the potential to care for residents of Missouri. The STAHR Scholars Dentistry program curriculum includes:
- Two weeks ON-SITE at the UMKC School of Dentistry. The onsite experience is designed to engage students in academic, professional development, and enrichment activities that include targeted skills training, experience in the dental school labs and clinics, one-on-one mentoring for the dental school application essay, interviews, financial aid and other admissions-related topics, and interaction with a broad spectrum of dental professionals from dental research, dental public health, and academic dentistry.
- An 8-week ON-LINE component incorporating the DAT Bootcamp and UMKC’s excellence in distance education with online Supplemental Instruction sessions. The DAT Bootcamp is provided free of cost to participants. There are an additional 3 weeks of practice testing that come with the DAT Bootcamp.
2019 STAHR Scholars Dentistry program
On-site weeks: June 1st – 5th and July 20th– July 23rd
Online Coursework: June 8th – July 17th and July 27th – August 21st (the final three weeks of the DAT Bootcamp are comprised of practice testing only)
Accepted students in the STAHR Scholars Dentistry program must commit to the following:
- Making self-available for at least 30 hours per week during the online course components, including during live online sessions three scheduled times per week.
- Taking the DAT in August, 2020 at student’s own expense
- Providing own travel to and from Kansas City for the on campus sessions
Participants who complete program requirements will receive a stipend from the STAHR program. This stipend can help cover the costs of applying to and interviewing with dental schools.
APPLY HERE – Application and official transcripts are due March 9th
For additional information, contact: