The UMKC School of Dentistry offers a STAHR Scholars Dentistry program (formerly the Admissions Enhancement Program). The mission of the UMKC STAHR Scholars Dentistry program is to develop culturally diverse candidates and candidates from underserved areas who are applying to the UMKC School of Dentistry within the next two years. The innovative 10-week summer program is intended to develop competitive health professions applicants who have the potential to care for residents of Missouri. The STAHR Scholars Dentistry program curriculum includes:
- A 1 ½ week ON-SITE component of the UMKC STAHR Scholars Dentistry program is designed to engage students in academic, professional development, and enrichment activities that include targeted skills training, experience in the dental school labs and clinics, one-on-one mentoring for the dental school application essay, interviews, financial aid and other admissions-related topics, and interaction with a broad spectrum of dental professionals from dental research, dental public health, and academic dentistry.
- An 8-week ON-LINE component incorporating UMKC’s excellence in distance education with a comprehensive review of foundational knowledge in quantitative reasoning, chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, and preparation for the DAT. The on-line curriculum is directed by the same faculty who conduct the national Web CE™ DAT Preparatory Course, and is complemented by daily interaction with UMKC Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders.
2019 STAHR Scholars Dentistry program
Online Coursework: May 20th – July 25th
On-site weeks: June 3rd – 6th and July 22rd– July 25th
Accepted students in the STAHR Scholars Dentistry program must commit to the following:
- Making self-available for at least 30 hours per week during the online course components, including during live online sessions three scheduled times per week.
- Taking the DAT in August, 2019 at student’s own expense
- Providing own travel to and from Kansas City for the on campus sessions
For additional information, contact: