DISCOVERING KANSAS CITY AND DENTISTRY AT THE 2013 MIDWEST DENTAL CONFERENCE
More than 3,500 dentists, dental hygienists, dental staff and their families and friends congregated in Kansas City, Mo. for the 2013 edition of the annual Midwest Dental Conference (MDC), hosted by the UMKC School of Dentistry and its Dental and Dental Hygienists’ Alumni Associations. The conference convened Thursday, April 11, through Sunday, April 14, 2013, at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center (formerly the Hyatt Regency).
The conference serves as the School of Dentistry’s annual alumni meeting, which has been taking place since the School’s predecessor, the Western Dental College, formed its alumni association in 1892. By 1994 the meeting had become so large that it could be considered a regional professional meeting as well as an alumni meeting, so a broader educational program was developed and the annual event was renamed as the Midwest Dental Conference.
- The four-day weekend offered attendees a variety of educational and social/networking activities that included:
- A wide variety of Continuing Dental Education programs covering cutting-edge developments in clinical care and practice management
- Hands-on workshops that tackled topics that included: Restoring Endodontically Treated Teeth, Direct Posterior Composites, and 3-D Imaging and Surgical Guides.
- Fourteen graduating classes (ranging from 1943 to 2008) held reunions and hosted special activities that included receptions and dinners
- More than 160 companies displayed their dental equipment, materials and services at the Technical Exhibits
- More than 400 people dressed up in formal attire to attend the annual Pouring from the Heart dinner and auction to raise money for the School’s Oncology Dental Support Clinic
- The annual Alumni and Friends Recognition Breakfast attracted more than 250 guests to honor outstanding alumni, including Rinehart Medallion recipients (lifetime donors of $10,000 or more)