See photos from Pouring from the Heart here
From Thursday, April 12, through Sunday, April 15, 2012, more than 3,300 dentists, dental hygienists, dental staff and their families and friends congregated in the Sheraton Kansas City and Westin Crown Center Hotels near downtown Kansas City, Mo., for the annual Midwest Dental Conference (MDC), hosted by the UMKC School of Dentistry and its Dental and Dental Hygienists’ Alumni Associations. The conference serves as the School of Dentistry’s annual alumni meeting, which has been taking place since the school’s predecessor, the Western Dental College, formed its alumni association in 1892.
The four-day weekend offered attendees a variety of educational and social activities, including:
- 30 Continuing Dental Education (CDE) programs offered 102 hours of CDE credit that empowered practitioners to better themselves personally and professionally.
- Hands-on workshops enabled participants to gain first-hand experience with “Total Tooth Replacement with Dental Implants,” “The Art of Endodontics,” and “Composite Restorative Dentistry.”
- 12 Class Reunions — ranging from the Class of 1947’s sixty-fifth anniversary to the Class of 2007’s fifth — hosted receptions and dinners.
- 135 Technical Exhibits connected companies and customers with the latest in dental technology, materials and services.
- The annual Pouring from the Heart dinner and auction attracted 420 guests who raised tens of thousands of dollars for the school’s Oncology Dental Support Clinic.
- A sports-themed Welcome Party on Friday evening featured the KC Chiefs football team’s mascot and a few of their cheerleaders.
- The annual Alumni and Friends Recognition Breakfast was attended by more than 250 guests who helped honor outstanding alumni, including Rinehart Medallion recipients (lifetime donors of $10,000 or more).