Volunteers organize oral health programs in Haiti and at Gordon Parks Elementary School in Kansas City, Mo.
In March 2007 and 2008 Gerry Barker (UMKC School of Dentistry (SOD) professor emerita) and her husband, Dr. Bruce Barker (UMKC SOD professor emeritus), Dr. Karen Williams (MS ’85) (former UMKC SOD professor and director of Clinical Research), Randolph Oliver (DDS ’82) (a periodontist in Prairie Village, Kan.) and Andy Geoghegan (a retired professor of psychology, Metropolitan Community Colleges) participated in oral health education mission trips to rural Haiti. Their experience in Haiti inspired them to get involved with Gordon Parks Elementary Charter School in Kansas City, Mo., and help the school implement a comprehensive oral health program for its students.
These organizers then enlisted the support of a variety of volunteers from the UMKC School of Dentistry. The oral health program that evolved at Gordon Parks provided its students with educational books and videos (funded by the UMKC Dental Hygienists’ Alumni Association), educational programs presented by UMKC dental and dental hygiene students, and free clinical care delivered at the UMKC School of Dentistry’s Lowry Children’s Clinic.
Oral Heath Team Volunteers — Gordon Parks Elementary Charter School
UMKC School of Dentistry
- Ms. Gerry Barker, Professor Emerita, dental-educational missionary to Haiti
- Dr. Bruce Barker, Professor Emeritus, dental-educational missionary to Haiti
- Dr. Brenda Bohaty, Director of the Advanced Program Pediatric Dentistry
- Dr. Bonnie Branson, Professor, Department of Dental Hygiene
- Ms. Kim Bray, Professor and Director of Dental Hygiene
- Mr. John Cottrell, Dept. of Minority and Special Programs/Great Start Program Great Start dental students: Maya Nunley, David Jackson, Erin Williams, Jessica Monroe, Beena Skaria, Rachel Yamakawa
- Dental Hygiene students: Monica Henriod, Melinda Felkins, Rosanna Burton, Pardeep Kaur, Jamie Kennedy, Kisa Morgan
- Dr. John Haynes, Chair of Pediatric Dentistry/Director of the Lowry Clinic, Pediatric Dental Faculty and clinical dental students
- Ms. Tanya Villalpando Mitchell, RDH, MS, Chair, Financial Advisory Council, Dental Hygiene Alumni Association
- Ms. Catherine Saylor, President, Dental Hygiene Alumni Association
- Dr. Karen Williams, Director, Clinical Research Center, dental-educational missionary to Haiti
- Mr. Andy Geoghegan, retired professor of psychology, Metropolitan Community Colleges, educational missionary to Haiti
- Ms. Carolyn Kroh, retired art teacher, educational missionary to Haiti
- Dr. Randolph Oliver, periodontist, dental-educational missionary to Haiti
- Mr. Guy Montes, Haitian native, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Kansas University, flautist
- Ms. Trudy Nepstad, retired art teacher
- Ms. Ann Renne, educational missionary to Haiti