About the School

Past and Present

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

UMKC School of Dentistry is a long-established institution, with a national reputation for innovative leadership in dental education. For more than a century, the School has provided continuity of distinguished service in the following areas:

• Preparing tomorrow’s oral health care professionals
• Delivering the finest, state-of-the-art oral health care to patients
• Providing continuing education and training for today’s practitioners
• Conducting cutting-edge research projects

A Brief History
The lineage of the UMKC School of Dentistry reaches back to the 1881 founding of the Kansas City Dental College, then a department of the Kansas City Medical College. Eventually, the Dental College merged with the Western Dental College to form the Kansas City-Western Dental College. In 1941, the Dental College affiliated with the privately supported University of Kansas City and became that institution’s School of Dentistry. Twenty years later, the University of Kansas City joined the four-campus state University of Missouri system, and became the University of Missouri-Kansas City. As part of the merger, the dental school became the UMKC School of Dentistry.

Today
The UMKC School of Dentistry is an eminent institution, nationally recognized for excellence in oral health care education. The extensive facilities include modern classrooms, research laboratories, practice clinics, library services, and administrative offices. Located south of downtown Kansas City, on historic Hospital Hill, the School enjoys the company of other institutions dedicated to the health sciences, including: Truman Medical Center, Children’s Mercy Hospital, the UMKC's Schools of Medicine, Pharmacy and Nursing.