Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics Resident Information
An orthodontist is a dentist that has 2-3 years of additional training in the correction of mal-occluded teeth or mal-related jaws. Orthodontic techniques taught here include the use of fixed appliances, various removable appliances, and surgical techniques to improve dental function and appearance
The UMKC Advanced Education Program in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics has been in existence for 65 years with graduates practicing in most all states and several foreign countries.
The UMKC Graduate Orthodontic program is 30 months in length, and has many strengths:
• The graduates of this program are very well trained clinically, and able to enter into private practice.
• The residents receive a stipend of 33% of collections from the patients they treat during their training.
• The UMKC Orthodontic clinic is similar to a private practice setting. The residents use electronic charting, electronic scheduling, digital x-rays, digital photography, have assistants and appointment schedulers.
• The research area available to the residents is outstanding, with great professors helping with your projects.
• The residents have time in the schedule to complete treatment of their assigned patients as well as well as time to complete a research project and manuscript.
• Alumni support of the department is very generous. Their donations aid in the day to day operations of the department, assist residents with travel expenses to meetings and in supporting and funding Chairs for our faculty.
For additional information of the Graduate Program, click on Information Bulletin or call the department's administrative assistant, Michele Elmore @ 816-235-2009.
To learn more about the Orthodontic clinic, click here
For more information about Orthodontics, follow this link to the American Association of Orthodontists website.
To find information from the UMKC School of Dentistry catalog about the Advanced Orthodontic Program, click here
Applicant information and Application form, click here
Director of the Advanced Orthodontic Education Program:
Jeffrey C. Nickel, D.M.D., M. Sc., Ph D,