The UMKC School of Dentistry offers an Admission Enhancement Program (UMKC AEP). The mission of UMKC AEP is to develop culturally diverse candidates and candidates from underserved areas who apply to the UMKC School of Dentistry (SOD). Through enriching student-faculty and student-student interactions, the innovative and dynamic UMKC AEP provides students the opportunity to enhance their application for entrance into the UMKC School of Dentistry and begin their journey toward a career in the dental profession. The program strengthens:
- An applicant’s foundational knowledge
- Academic skills
- Interactions with individuals across the dental profession
This innovative 10-week summer program is generously funded by the Missouri state legislature’s “Caring for Missourians” initiative. The initiative is intended to develop competitive health professions applicants who are Missouri residents and who:
- Are a member of a historically underrepresented minority
- Have experienced a disadvantaged background
- Who are currently applying to the UMKC School of Dentistry, (typically, who are college juniors, seniors, recent graduates or individuals making a career transition)
AEP focuses on two important areas:
1) Strengthening foundational knowledge in math and science for the Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) and the dental school curriculum.
2) Advancing professional development through academic skills training and enhanced knowledge of the dental profession.
- The 1 ½ week ON-SITE component of the UMKC AEP is designed to engage students in academic, professional development, and enrichment activities that include targeted skills training, experience in the dental school labs and clinics, one-on-one mentoring for the dental school application essay, interviews, financial aid and other admissions-related topics, and interaction with a broad spectrum of dental professionals from dental research, dental public health, and academic dentistry.
- The 8-week ON-LINE component incorporates UMKC’s excellence in distance education with a comprehensive review of foundational knowledge in quantitative reasoning, chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, and preparation for the DAT. The on-line curriculum is directed by the same faculty who conduct the national Web CE™ DAT Preparatory Course, and is complemented by daily interaction with UMKC Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders.
The AEP application deadline is Tuesday, April 1st, 2014
Applications will be available in February 2014
The 10 week program begins-Monday, May 19th, 2014 and ends Friday, August 1st, 2014
AEP residential experience: Sunday, June 1st--Friday, June 6th, 2014 and Tuesday, July 29th-- Friday August 1st, 2014
AEP online modules accessed from your home – Monday, May 19th, 2014--Monday, July 28th, 2014
Click here to download Program Brochure
Click here to download a Program Application Form
For additional information, contact:
Professor Carrie Hanson,
UMKC School of Dentistry
650 E. 25th Street
Kansas City, MO 64108-2784