Dental Explorer Post - Troop 2947
Explore Your Future In Dentistry.
Whether you’re considering dentistry as a profession or you’re completely convinced that it’s the right career for you, the Dental Explorer Post, Troop 2947, is a great way to gain first-hand experience in what dentistry is really all about.
• Gain first-hand knowledge about dentistry from dental students and dental professionals.
• Interact with your peers who are learning about the dental profession.
• Get to know the faculty, staff and students at the UMKC School of Dentistry so they can get to know you as a person and as a potential dental student.
• Experience the depth and breadth of the dental profession by performing hands-on preclinical laboratory projects.
• Gain an understanding of the requirements and application process for admission into college and dental school.
• Join the ranks of former Dental Explorer Post members who have become dental students at the UMKC School of Dentistry.
As a member of the Dental Explorer Post, you’ll not only make friends with other students interested in dentistry, you’ll meet and learn from dental students and dental professionals who can address your particular interests and questions. As a Dental Explorer, you’ll meet with dental advisers who’ll guide you through the process of preparing for and applying to dental school.
In addition to having an interest in dentistry, you should be:
• at least 14 years old and have completed the eighth grade or 15 years of age and not yet 21.
• a resident of Missouri or Kansas.
The Dental Explorer Post welcomes both male and female students. The Post meets five or six times during each school year at the UMKC School of Dentistry. A typical meeting features a presentation by a dental faculty member or a graduate student, followed by a hands-on experience in the school’s pre-clinical laboratory.
The School of Dentistry is located at 650 E. 25th Street, Kansas City, MO, (two blocks east of Crown Center and directly south of Children’s Mercy Hospital) Please use the building’s north entrance (other doors may be locked). Meetings are held on Saturday mornings beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding at noon. Your parents are most welcome to attend. Registration in the Dental Explorer Post is $7.00 per year. Please pay this fee at your first meeting.
If you’re serious about dentistry as a career, the Dental Explorer Post is serious about helping you achieve that goal. Please join us for a fun and factual exploration of dentistry. To reserve your place or for more information about Explorer Post meeting dates and activities, or the school’s D.D.S. program, please contact::
John L. Cottrell, Director of Minority and Special Programs
UMKC School of Dentistry
Office of Student Programs
650 E. 25th St., Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone: 816/235-2085 or toll-free 800/776-8652.
People with speech or hearing impairments can call:
800/735-29966(TT) or 800/735-2466 (Voice).Fax: 816/235-2157
You can read more about UMKC School of Dentistry’s Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) Degree Program by following this link.